Decision on whether to allow vote on regeneration plan delayed
By Simon Allin, Local Democracy Reporter
A decision to allow a vote on a major regeneration scheme has been delayed following a change in Haringey Labour’s leadership.
The council leader was set to decide whether to give the go-ahead to a ballot on the council’s housing offer for residents affected by the High Road West regeneration scheme in Tottenham at a cabinet briefing on Tuesday evening.
It would have seen those living on the Love Lane Estate – which is earmarked for demolition under the plans – asked to answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to whether they were in favour of the council’s proposal to progress the 2,600-home development.
But the report for the briefing was withdrawn, and the council confirmed the cabinet decision will now be made in June.
It comes after a change in leadership at Haringey Labour, with Cllr Peray Ahmet ousting Cllr Joseph Ejiofor during a vote on Monday. Cllr Ahmet is expected to become council leader later this month and appoint a new cabinet.
The council recently secured £91 million from the government and Mayor of London to treble the number of council-rent homes on the High Road West scheme to 500 and boost the affordable housing level to 40%.
Cllr Ejiofor was adamant that the scheme would not lead to “social cleansing”, but business owners and councillors continued to raise concerns over the plans.
The council has said eligible Love Lane secure tenants and those in temporary accommodation “would be guaranteed a high-quality new council home on the estate, all at council rents with a secure tenancy.”
It added that residents who responded to a consultation on a draft lettings policy and leasehold offer “came out in favour of the proposals that inform the landlord offer.”
“The detailed High Road West masterplan, which sets out how the council want to transform the eleven hectares site, also received an overwhelming endorsement,” the council said.
A Haringey Council spokesperson confirmed the meeting that was scheduled for 6.30pm on Tuesday evening had been cancelled and the decision on High Road West will now be made at a formal cabinet meeting next month.