Body of male recovered from the river

Police have recovered a body from a river in Tottenham.

The discovery was made the day after a pursuit of a group of men, took place along the riverside.

The police has said that at around 21:15hrs on Wednesday, 7 October, officers from the Central East robbery taskforce were patrolling on bicycles along the River Lee towpath between Ferry Lane and Markfield Park N15.

They say officers approached a group of males, and one was detained. Two other males made off from police on pushbikes and were pursued by police also on bicycles.

One of the men was pulled from the water, which is part of the River Lee Navigation system, and detained by officers. The other male could not be located.

Specialist marine policing teams searched for the outstanding male for several hours overnight, with the assistance of colleagues from the National Police Air Service.

The search resumed in the early hours the following morning of Thursday 8th October. At around 09:50 hrs, police recovered the body of a 23-year-old man.

Formal identification awaits. Next of kin have been informed.

A post-mortem examination is expected to be held soon.

The two males, 28 and 21, were arrested on suspicion of robbery and possession of an offensive weapon.

They were taken into custody at north London police stations and have since been released on bail to a date in mid-November.

Commander Paul Brogden said: “I fully recognise the concern this incident will cause among members of the local community. The matter was referred by our Directorate of Professional Standards to the Independent Office for Police Conduct who have confirmed that they are independently investigating this tragic incident, and how the males came to be in the water.

“Our thoughts are with the family of the deceased male and we will do everything we can to support the IOPC investigation.”

Tottenham Community Press is published by Social Spider, a not-for-profit company. Please consider supporting us by signing up as a member.